When I was in Engineering college I had to write tons of assignments and reports, it was such irritating work because most of them were of no use.
But the internet is always there to help you in such situations. I used to download readymade pdfs of these assignments from the internet, and then copy everything from there.
But many of those pdfs were locked with a password and I used to unlock them with some pdf password removers. In this article, I’ll tell you some of the best tools or software you can use to unlock pdf and then use them right away.
Smallpdf is a website that provides an online platform for unlocking pdfs quickly, you just have to upload or drag the file on the Small Pdf tool and it’ll unlock the file within a few seconds.
It is an amazing choice for those who wish to perform some basic PDF functions without downloading any heavy software to the computer. Smallpdf comes with 20 other PDF tools including PDF merging, splitting, rotating, converting, compressing, and much more, which makes this site a perfect place for those who work with pdfs frequently.
When it comes to the security of your data, Smallpdf uses 256-bit SSL encryption in all file transfers, so if you’re working with some sensitive information you don’t have to worry about the data loss or anything at all.
Also, whenever you transfer any file on Smallpdf, it automatically gets deleted from their servers which makes this software more secure.
- It’s a free PDF unlock software.
- Smallpdf is online software so you don’t need to download it.
- Makes use of 256-bit SSL encryption in all file transfers.
- Easy to use
- Uploading your data on the internet is always risky.
- You can only unlock one pdf at a time.
- It gets slow for large pdfs.
2. PDF Crack
Pdf crack is an open-source application (GPL) used for recovering passwords and content from PDF files. It is capable of cracking both owner and user passwords, it also supports wordlists and brute-forcing the passwords.
It is a command-line tool that works with both the 32 and 64-bit operating systems of Windows 7, XP, and Vista. Pdf crack is one of the fastest tools that can be used for cracking pdf passwords.
It comes with simple benchmarking and provides the feature of saving or loading a running job. Pdf crack is capable of delivering the result in under 15 minutes, however, it may vary depending on how strong the encryption is.
- Capable of recovering both owner and user passwords.
- Free to use.
- It has a self-explanatory interface which makes it a portable tool.
- Hard to use or Complex UI.
Guapdf provides you with the guarantee of removing all the restrictions from the PDF, no matter what type of encryption is used in it. It supports the newest PDF 1.7 ExtensionLevel 8 files, including AES encryption, compressed files, Unicode passwords, and unencrypted metadata.
It’s a very fast software that comes with a 40-bit key searching technique optimized for the latest Intel Core and AMD architecture. Guapdf is available for all the operating systems including Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X.
After unlocking the PDF you can easily open it using any pdf reader and perform actions like editing, copying, printing, etc.
Guapdf comes with 3 different versions which are as follows:
- GuaPDF restrictions remover
It is used for removing restrictions on PDF files, like permissions or passwords, and it cannot decrypt files with an open password. GuaPDF restrictions remover supports all versions of Acrobat. Also, it does not require GPU support.
- GuaPDF password remover
It supports both security methods, that is. open and permissions passwords. But, while removing the open password, it supports only old Acrobat files with 40-bit keys.
It supports one AMD/NVIDIA card, and on modern GPU it takes only a few hours to remove ANY open password with a 40-bit key.
- GuaPDF unlimited
It supports a large number of CPU/GPU clients and distributed processing.
- Authenticity of the pdf is maintained throughout the whole process.
- It’s fast software.
- Compatible with almost all the operating systems including Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows.
- Free to use.
- Doesn’t work for large-sized pdfs.
- Installation of drivers like OpenCL is required
ThePDF.com is another popular website that can successfully remove any kind of restrictions or passwords on your PDF document. It is basically a free tool that is available online with the help of which you can easily remove any open or user password on PDF files.
Besides PDF password remover, this website can also help you in converting PDF file formats into others and vice versa. It can also be used to merge and split PDFs.
Its password recovery option is easy to use and provides a drag and drop facility. Just select the PDF file encrypted with a password, drag and drop it onto their website, and you are ready to go. Just within a few seconds, it can help you open the document by unlocking it.
- It has an easy and simple user interface.
- The fonts are clean and all the features are easily accessible or easy to locate.
- It is free to use.
- It is an online tool thus it requires no downloading or installation.
- The website font is a bit small, so you may need to zoom in sometimes for a better experience.
- Sometimes online websites are not the best option for unlocking PDFs because of safety issues.
PassCue is one of the widely used PDF unlocking software which can recover the PDF passwords and can also remove any other restriction on editing, printing, etc.
The software has three different attack modes:
The first is ‘Brute-force Attack’ which can help you if you don’t remember or know anything about the last password. This mode however takes much more time as compared to the other two modes.
The next mode is ‘Brute-force with Mask Attack’ which can be used if you remember some of the details about your last password like the password range, password length, suffix, prefix, etc.
The third mode is called ‘Dictionary Attack’ and for this one, you will have to provide a list of some possible passwords which would be tried out by the PDF recovery tool in a pre-arranged listing.
The recovery speed is increased 30 times because of the GPU acceleration. It’s safe to use because it causes no change to the original PDF files.
- There are three different types of recovery modes for different circumstances.
- It can process single as well as multiple files at the same time.
- The process is faster.
- It requires the installation and thus it is not portable.
- It does not work with Windows.
It is free software and has an efficient password recovery program. Once the password is recovered, you are free to view, edit, and print the PDF file.
It uses the Brute-force Attack password recovery method that is basically used when the user has no idea about the last password, at all. It can work effectively with all types of PDF files having 256-bit AES or 128-bit RC4 encryption.
However, it just removes the password and cannot remove any other restriction put on the PDF document.
- It can easily work with the PDF that is protected with a strong 128-bit or 256-bit key.
- It can instantly remove password encryptions.
- The installation process is easy and does not require much time.
- You will be required to install the .NET Framework on your PC.
- You will not be able to browse the last recovery history.
- It installs some additional plug-ins on your device automatically without your consent.
QPDF is another command-line program just like PDF Crack and can be used for PDF unlocking, encryption, merging, rotating, splitting, and more.
Check out this video, it explains how you can unlock pdfs using QPDF:
It can recover both the owner as well as the open password for a PDF file and is thus considered one of the best PDF unlockers so far.
Also, it can be used on almost all versions of the Windows operating system and can unlock a PDF file with 128-bit AES encryption instantly.
- You can view the structure of the PDF file and further modify it.
- It is free to use and fast.
- It can also remove the PDF owner password in no time.
- The software has no user interface and thus cannot be easily used by inexperienced users.
- To use this software, the user has to know the appropriate commands and sometimes this process gets complex.
PDF Password Remover is another PDF unlocking software that has to be first installed on your device. It has a very simple user interface which is very easy to understand.
It can readily unlock the PDF file within a few seconds, and it’s lightweight and fast.
- Easy to install.
- Free to use.
- It can remove the password instantly.
- Its installer is small in size and thus requires less amount of your device storage.
- It is much safer to use as compared to online password removing tools.
- PDF Password Remover can unlock PDF files up to version 1.7 level 8 with 128-bit RC4 encryption.
- For higher encryption levels, this won’t work.
- It is not as portable as it needs to be installed first.
It is another password unlocking software which needs to be installed on your device. It is not much difficult to install and use because of the installation instructions provided along with the installer.
It uses the Brute Force Method to unlock the PDF which is effective when the user has no idea about the last password, at all.
However, the Dictionary Attack method can also be used and you can give some options to try passwords from a Dictionary that would be saved in TXT format. You can also modify the dictionary by adding your own words to it. You can fill in the clues like password length or range, or prefix, the suffix for encrypting the PDF file.
- It is free and easy to use.
- It can unlock PDFs faster.
- It is secure and safe.
- The user interface is clean and easy to understand.
- It is not portable.
This PDF unlocker software can be used by either downloading a demo version or by purchasing an official license.
This software allows password unlocking through a variety of different methods. Those methods are as follows:
- On the basis of password length:
If you remember the approximate password length and what characters it may contain.
- Search by template:
If you remember the password partially you can set its template so that there are less variations for software to search through.
- Exhaustive Search Method:
It is a slow process however it is 100% successful. This method can be used if the PDF file has both the user and the owner passwords which are long and tough to crack.
Most of the passwords are created manually and they often contain words that can be found in a dictionary. So a method called the dictionary search method can be used that would go through the words, their combinations and different variations to recover the password in less time. This process is faster as compared to the general unlocking process.
- History tab allows us to view recently recovered passwords.
- It can be used to recover both user and the owner passwords.
- It is quick and has a simple user interface.
- The demo version has some limitations like password up to only four symbols can be recovered using brute-force search or network search.
- Dictionary search can be used to recover passwords of any length but it shows only the first and the last symbol.
- Also, in case of dictionary search, only the first page is decrypted and a watermark is added.
- Small pdf is an amazing choice for those who wish to perform some basic PDF functions.
- Pdf crack is an open-source application (GPL) used for recovering passwords and content from PDF files.
- Guapdf is a very fast software that comes with a 40-bit key searching technique optimized for the latest Intel Core and AMD architecture.
- Passcue for pdf has three different attack modes.
- QPDF is another command-line program just like PDF Crack and can be used for PDF unlocking, encryption, merging, rotating, splitting, and more.
- Pdf Password remover can readily unlock the PDF file within a few seconds, and it’s lightweight and fast.