You don’t have to be an expert or a newbie in web development. Every web developer needs a robust code editor that can work effectively. In other words, it is one of the most vital equipments that you require.
For that reason, web developers out there are actively searching for the most useful code editors to use. This post seeks to provide you with a list of both premium and free code editors to deliver the best results. The list in this post can help you perform better on all web development projects.
It would be best to mention that the developer code you would love to use will depend on your personal choice. Nevertheless, this does not imply that this post suggests our personal favorite code editor choices. This post compiles opinions from top web developers who have used an array of code editors.
Since Microsoft released this editor in 2015, it has become the standard code editor for development. The code editor is compatible with platforms such as Windows, Linux, and Mac. It can complete most IDE tasks using its reliable Plugins library and configuration options.
The Visual Studio Code community is passionate and works hard to ensure that the editor remains competitive in its niche. Above all, it uses the Electron and Node.js language, making it competitive, productive, and easy to use.
- It offers in-editor debugging for improved performance.
- Visual Studio Code is lightweight to ensure compatibility with most operation systems.
- The code editor is quick and responsive.
- It features an extensive library of plugins and extensions slowing down the operation.
- The program features a cross-platform, which does not work best for everyone.
Code editor Atom is one of the top text and premiere code editors available on the market today. The program is highly customizable, open-source, and free. It features multiple language-specific packages that are built-in, and it features a minimal core.
This editor is robust, and it offers flexibility. Users can create and add a new feature that they feel the program cannot perform. Another useful feature about Atom is its Teletype option. It enabled several developers to work out the same coding task from different remote locations.
- Its teletype feature allows several developers to work remotely at the same time.
- Atom comes with multiple panes, selections, and cursors for convenience.
- It comes with a highly theme-able and highly extendable interface.
- The program is limited to the file system browser.
3. Sublime Text
This code editor is much like most other standard text editors. It is ideal for prose, markup, and code options. Although the prose workflows do not offer the best performance level, there are many features to access in one editor.
The program is much like the Visual Studio Code and Atom. It comes with an active package repository that keeps updating its feature after you download and install it. Developers refer to this code editor as the most beautiful on the market. It offers a premium plan.
It comes with split editing, quick search/shortcuts, and distraction-free writing mode, making it the tightest editor. Most users say that the best part of this editor is its intuitive keyboard shortcut system.
- It offers multiple selections.
- Sublime Text features a highly customizable interface.
- It comes with an instant project switch and split editing option.
- Sublime Text charges for their premium features
- Endless Trial Version plus $80 for the premium version
Notepad++ is one of the most popular code editors. Some major reasons why it is popular include the facts that it is GPL-licensed and it attracts no extra costs. Another reason could be because it is simpler to use. The editor is suitable for veterans and beginners too.
Veterans often advise beginners to use this editor if they think other programs are somewhat complicated and challenging to use. It is a simple program that is suitable for beginners and offers productive features to veterans. It is practical, light, and very productive.
- It features the auto-completion option for convenience.
- The program offers the search, replace, and syntax folding options.
- It comes with a highly customizable interface for flexibility.
- It is limited to code editor for Windows only, while most developers use Linux and code editor for Mac.
This code editor has features that make it more appropriate for IDE. This statement implies that the Software is pretty advanced for beginners. The editor is free of charge and supports most languages since it is open source. It comes with an array of productive features.
It can handle complex code bases since its community continually updates it. You can wrap the text as you wish or edit it in full-screen. Besides, it comes with a powerful search-and-replace option that helps to keep everything tidy. It also supports secure connections for convenience.
- It offers multiple document interfaces, yet it is lightweight.
- Bluefish offers auto-recovery and unlimited redo/undo options.
- It has a powerful search-and-replace option.
- It is not suitable for beginners.
This editor is one of the most popular open-source and free code editors available on the market. It is not just community-driven. Bracket is a product from Adobe; thus, it comes with great power and polish styles.
It features a system that makes it minimal-yet-powerful. However, it offers several useful and unique features. One of its most productive features is the Extract option, which enables users to extract features such as measurements, gradients, fonts, and colors directly from PSDs.
- It provides the preprocessor report and a live preview.
- Bracket offers inline editors and a massive extension library.
- It requires W3C validation.
The Codeshare.io is a browser-based editor that enables anyone to code at no extra cost. Creating an account with the platform will give you access to its features and will allow you to save your code work. The editor is suitable for developers who would like to share a code.
Its provider says that the program is suitable for interviews, and users can invite people to video chat and watch the code work in real-time. Therefore, it is ideal for educators. Besides, it offers dozens of syntax and themes that could help to highlight significant languages.
- It has integrated keyboard shortcuts that allow users to set their favorite Emacs, VIM, or Sublime options.
- The program is browser-based, free of charge, and users do not have to sign up.
- It offers an array of themes as well as various syntax highlighting options.
- It lacks specific features for specific platforms.
First of all, it would be best to mention that VIM is hardcore. Unlike other editors such as Notepad++ and Sublime Text, VIM is complicated and suitable for the experts. Everything about VIM, including its Software and official website, is complex.
Once you work through the steep learning curve and the UI, you will realize why the editor features its design. It can perform most other tasks that other code editors perform. Above all, it comes with the top-most level of function and efficiency.
It features the most helpful keyboard shortcuts, and most of its functions are keystroke based. They offer a video game that helps learners discover new ways to make the results out of it. Above all, this editor is a product from expert coders, and it is suitable for talented coders.
- It features a safe, secure login.
- VIM is Unix-base and offers steady help and updates.
- It comes with a vast plug-in system and supports all programming languages.
- It isn’t very easy for learners.
9. GNU Emacs
This code editor is much like VIM. They both offer features that enable users to enjoy the best developer experience. The editor achieves this aspect by excluding most extraneous options that could be barriers to efficiency.
Emacs is available for free across most operating systems. It is command-line based and lightweight. The best part of it all is that it offers a slightly improved interface for editing if you compare it to VIM. It has one of the best IDE and text editor options.
- The editor is extensible with packages and plugins.
- It features an involved and passionate community.
- Emacs feature content-aware editing and command-line installation for efficiency.
- It loses functionality over time.
Spacemacs combines the best features of VIM and Emacs to create one more efficient program. Nevertheless, this doesn’t imply that it is more accessible and efficient. It is full of functions and complex to use. The best part of it all is that its role is more superficial.
Its community and development team has created a series of shortcuts and conventions that enable users to run it more easily. Spacemacs is free of charge and comes with all the features you would like to get from Emacs and VIM.
- It offers a smooth coding experience.
- Spacemacs features quick load times.
- It comes with an extensive library of documentation for efficiency.
- It offers numerous extensions and plugins options that are not suitable for beginners.
This editor features the IDE design that seeks to make everything easier for PHP developers. It is not just a code editor. It is more like a full PHP Integrated Development Environment. In any case, it offers intuitive code navigation, error checking, testing, version control, and debugging.
The program offers almost every area that the IDE contains. Its interface is smooth and clean, while the IDE is lightweight. You can perform most PHP functions such as CSS, HTML, JS, and Coffee. In other words, it offers the full package for developers specializing in PHP framework.
- The program is high-speed and features a tiny slowdown.
- It allows users to perform profiling, debugging, and testing for external apps.
- The editor is compatible with all versions of PHP.
- The DB tools and SQL editor takes long to load.
- $199 per year and $19.9 per month.
The best part of it all is that the editor will make it simpler for the learners to learn early-stage steps as they advance to complex ones. The code editor will enable you to set up code snippets to your keyboard to serve as shortcuts when you use it again.
- It is fast and lightweight for convenience.
- WeBuilder allows for easy transition from other code editors.
- It offers support for all major coding languages.
- It is only available for Windows platforms.
How to Choose the Best Code Editor
Choosing the type of code editor to use entirely depend on your personal preference. In other words, there is no one constant factor determining the type of code editor that developers use. Nevertheless, the following questions must be the backbone of the decision that you make.
What is the Type Of Operating System that You Use?
Although most code editors nowadays are compatible with all operating systems, this should be your number one concern. In other words, there are some platform-specific tools that you must consider. You need to conduct extensive research and choose the best editor for your operating system.
What Programming Languages Will You Use?
What Are Your “Nice To Have” And “Must Have” Features?
Since this decision entirely depends on personal preferences, the retort to this query could vary from one developer to another. Some developers do not care about some minor features of coding. Other developers are detail-oriented and might require complex code-correction features.
Some other developers are more personal and would like to use code editors that suit their taste. All in all, it would be best to ensure that you review the features and description of the program you want to use. Make sure that you opt for an editor that matches your requirements.
What Is Your Level Of Experience In Coding? Do You Need Support?
Some beginners will find it helpful to watch tutorials or read documentation and guidelines. You might be a beginner who needs to get steady and extensive support. Also, you might be an expert who does not require help at all.
Different code editors come with different types of documentation and community help. Besides, they feature different types of interfaces that may appear more straightforward or tricky, depending on your experience level.
What is The Nature Of Your Job?
However, it would be best to ensure that you start directly on IDE if you plan to use complex coding languages such as Perl, Java, C and Python.
Where Will You The Code Editor?
If you intend to work from your laptop and have no plans to switch to another PC, it would be best to consider using the downloadable programs.
All the same, if you intend to switch between PCs occasionally, it would be best to opt for the code editor online providers.
Ms. Word will allow you to format your documents the way you need them to appear. You can add footnotes, change fonts and perform other essential functions on your papers.
However, if you are working on a personal website or something that requires you to use complex coding, you need to get a reliable text editor.
Content creators, code editors and developers use text editors to create blogs, programs, and websites that can funnel content worldwide.
Choosing the right tools makes this to be simpler for them. Modern code editors cover most programming languages’ needs.
The best part of it all that recent text editors come with additional features such as debugging tools, auto-indentation, and syntax highlighting. The editors make it simpler for beginners to perform their coding requirements.
Nevertheless, it is best to ensure that you choose the most effective tools to get the best results possible. This post has provided you with the most recent code editors that you can consider.