Many of our day to day professional tasks require working with PDFs and often this file format is made compulsory by the organizations and governments, worldwide. Sometimes we need additional tools to perform simple tasks involving PDFs like splitting, merging, converting, etc.
In many cases, like when you are working on some project in bits or with a team, it is required to combine the multiple documents to yield a collective output, at the end. In such cases, PDF merging or PDF combining tools can be of great help.
Hundreds of software and tools are available on the internet and choosing the appropriate one that would be ideal according to your profession, task and needs can be a tedious job.
So, I have prepared a list of 8 best PDF merging tools that have been personally tried and tested.
Some of these are for online use while some are offline softwares that are first required to be downloaded and installed on your device. Each category has its own pros and cons.
Based upon these, I can assure you that by the end of this article, you would be able to find the right PDF merging tool for you.
Best online tools for merging PDFs online
This is the most widely used online website for performing day to day tasks involving PDF files. It has a set of 21 tools that can perform operations like PDF merging, splitting, converting, compressing, sign, security, and much more.
Its PDF merge tool is handy and simple with all the required detailing features to give you the best experience.
You can select and upload PDF files to merge from either your device, Dropbox, or Google Drive.
After you upload the PDF files, the website provided two types of viewing options:
- File Mode: With this mode, you can view, rotate, delete the PDF files as a whole and adjust their positions as you need in the final combined PDF by just dragging and dropping them past one another.
- Page Mode: With this mode, you can view each page of the PDF files you have uploaded. You can rotate, delete single or multiple pages and rearrange their positions as you desire in final combined PDF. This view provides a rather clear picture of what your resulting PDF would look after merging.
- An easy to use website which will help you combine multiple PDFs into one, just within a few seconds.
- The best part about using it is that you do not have to spend time signing up.
- The PDF merging tool can be opened and used on any browser which means you do not have to worry, whatever device you are using. It is compatible with Mac, Windows as well as Linux OS.
- All the operational processing is performed on their cloud server and it will not drain any capacity from your device.
- The interactive user interface is simple yet impressive.
- The website also provides an app that can be downloaded if you want to use it offline. The application is compatible with Windows, Mac, Android, and ios.
- Sometimes it takes too long for the process to complete. This mostly happens in the case of bigger files.
- A total of 2 free tasks per day can be performed on this website. For unlimited usage, you have to purchase a subscription.
- Smallpdf pricing starts at $12.00 per month or $108.00 per year, per user.
- However, a 14 days free trial is available.
Click here to know more about pdf unlocking tools.
Another website that contains an amazing combination of tools that would make your journey with PDFs easier and faster than ever before.
Merging PDFs using this online tool works similarly. It allows you to choose PDF files from your device, Dropbox, or Google Drive. After the files are uploaded, you can alter their positions as you want in the combined PDF and click the ‘Merge PDF’ button.
In just a few clicks, you get the combined PDF. It is faster and secure.
You can also sign up if you wish to use this website much often. By signing up for a premium account, you can avail more features like increased file size barriers, creating a team, working without the interruption due to ads, and much more.
- The tool is translated into 25 different languages. So, whatever part of the world you come from, you can easily use this website.
- All the files uploaded by you would be deleted from their server within two hours to ensure safety.
- The files to be merged can be arranged in alphabetical or reverse alphabetical order.
- You can remove and also rotate the uploaded files.
- The website is connected to the cloud, thus you can access files directly from Google Drive or Dropbox and also save the merged PDF at the same location.
- The offline version is also available in the form of an app for Android and ios users, and software for Windows, Mac, and Linux to give you a faster and safer experience.
- The file size barrier exists if you have not purchased the premium pack.
- Advertisements can be distracting for the users.
- It can be slow for bigger files.
- Once you register for free, you can use almost 80% of the features available.
- The premium version for the web is available at ₹300 per month and 33% less for a year.
- Its premium pro version that is available for desktop and mobile is at ₹500 per month and 33% less for a year.
This is another simple yet excellent tool available online. This website called combinepdf.com does just that. It helps you merge up to 20 PDFs into one.
It has a drag and drop facility for uploading files. You can further rearrange the PDFs in whatever order you wish. The tool is quick, clean, and free.
- All the PDF data uploaded on this website is cleared within an hour. So, you do not have to worry about security.
- The site is clean and displays only the relevant and to the point information.
- You can view the website in a dozen different languages.
- It is free to use and can combine PDFs at a glance.
- The website contains advertisements that can be bothering for some users.
- No editing options like rotate, delete, etc. are available while merging the PDFs.
You might need a splitting PDF tool for splitting Merged pdfs so check out these amazing tools for doing it.
4. PDF24 Tools
Another comparatively newer website in the market, it provides a variety of easy-to-use PDF editing tools at one place. It is free, secure, and provides unlimited access.
You can merge your PDFs easily using the drag and drop feature or choose the file from your device.
- Unlike many other online PDF merging tools, it provides unlimited access. So, you can try and test while combining the PDFs as many times as you want, without worrying about the limit.
- It is free, fast, and secure.
- The PDFs and other user data are deleted after a short period.
- The combined PDF has the same quality as that of input PDFs.
- They also provide alternative software for offline installation on Windows that comes with similar features.
- It is available in a wide variety of languages.
- The website is advertisement free. So, you can stick to your task without being disturbed.
- The process can take some time while working with large PDFs.
Best Softwares for combining PDFs offline
PDFelement is another good quality PDF editing software which can be used to combine multiple PDF files together, efficiently. It can be easily used by beginners as it is easy to understand and learn because of its clean and structured UI.
It contains a wide variety of rich tools that can help in solving many other PDF problems. It is fast and has an elegant user interface. It also offers ready to use templates to customize your PDF documents.
It has been rated as the top most document management system for 2019 on the basis of user ratings and reviews, which is the most impressive thing about it.
- All the basic editing features are available in the free trial. Also, the Standard version is cheaper as compared to other PDF Editors.
- The user interface is clean and finding the required feature is much easier.
- It can be easily learned and understood by beginners because of its helpful user interface.
- The software is compatible with both Windows and Mac OS.
- Collaboration experience is better as you can access it on your ios or Android device also.
- Many features are only available with a paid version.
It is available in three different versions at the following prices.
- PDFelement Standard at $79
- PDFelement Pro at $129
- PDFelement Business : Contact Sales for Pricing details.
When it comes to PDF problems, there exists no better solution provider than the creator of PDFs itself. Adobe Acrobat Reader DC is Adobe’s very own software that allows merging multiple PDF files easily and much faster as compared to any other offline software available in the market.
This one software alone comes with thousands of exhaustive features which are handy, easy to use and quick. You can download and install the official version of this PDF reader and it’s ready to use. However, the free version comes with limited features but merging is still possible. To use more features, you can purchase the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Pro. I would suggest using this particular software if PDFs are a part of your daily life.
The user interface can be a bit tricky to understand in the beginning. So, it takes time to learn how to find and use all the features. But with continuous practice, it becomes easy as pie.
- Files can be accessed and stored in Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, or Microsoft OneDrive.
- It can merge big sized PDF files in less time.
- Since it is a software, there is no issue of a security breach or information theft.
- It provides a lot more detailed features that you can use while merging PDF files like digital signatures, watermarks, etc.
- Many features are only available under a paid version i.e. Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Pro.
- Some features have a limited usage if you install a free version.
- The paid version is very expensive.
Acrobat Pro DC costs you $180 per year.
3. Nitro PDF
If you want a software that is lightweight and fast, that can perform your task of merging multiple PDFs into one, then Nitro can be a great choice.
It is very popular among users. It is a perfect blend of interactive UI and useful technical features. It just includes the important featured, leaving the unnecessary ones behind.
- The software is quick and lightweight.
- The user interface has a drag and drop facility which makes it easy to merge files.
- Integrated with Nitro Cloud for better sharing and collaboration.
- Lightweight and fast as compared to Adobe but has almost similar features.
- Nitro Pro is a bit expensive as compared to other PDF reader softwares.
- The free trial allows you to access only a limited number of features.
- The software frequently crashes.
- The desktop version of this application is not compatible with Mac.
- Basic: $159 USD/user
You can also apply for the free trial of Basic version
For pricing information related to the above two plans, you need to contact the sales team.
4. Foxit PDF
Foxit is like the ultimate Google Docs of PDFs. It has thousands of useful features and most important of them being the cloud facilities, which make it one of the best options in case of collaborative projects.
This software can be used to merge multiple PDFs documents easily. It is compatible with both Windows as well as Mac OS.
You can combine the shared PDF files on its cloud and keep a track of who does changes to the documents. It is secure and really helpful for team projects.
- The cloud-based technology makes sharing of files much easier.
- Has an online ConnectedPDF Document Management System for easy collaboration.
- It is lighter and faster as compared to Adobe.
- Purchasing the subscription of its paid version can be expensive.
Foxit Phantom PDF software can be purchased through any these three versions:
- Standard: Available at $89.
- Business: Available at $109.
- Mac4: Available at $89.
- If you do not work with PDFs much often then using an online tool for merging PDFs can be a good choice rather than installing heavy software.
- We would suggest smallpdf.com if you are looking for an online tool that is simple, free, and secure, and has an attractive interface.
- Some of you might already know how to use such online tools and would be looking for a quick and clean online tool; in that case, combinepdf.com can be a good option.
- If you need a more organized and cheaper solution that is as effective as any other highly-priced PDF Editor, then go for PDFelement.
- If working with PDFs is a part of your daily job and you are looking for affordable yet feature-rich software, then we suggest installing Adobe Acrobat Pro DC.
- For a profession that requires working on collaborative projects on cloud networks, Foxit PDF software can be considered.